Miami woman kills ex-boyfriend in gruesome fashion

Written by By Sophia Edelbaum, CNN

Lurking in the yards and dead grass near the Florida home of her ex-boyfriend were two small metal spikes, like something out of a gruesome performance art piece — but one woman’s “impending pain” soon turned into murder.

At around 1 a.m. Sunday, authorities found the body of Kathleen “Kathy” Moore, 47, near the home of Gerald Corbett, according to Miami-Dade Police.

Corbett, 50, was charged with second-degree murder, Miami-Dade Police spokesman Argemis Rubio said.

Corbett remains in the Miami-Dade jail without bond and his attorney had no comment.

CNN has been unable to reach a family member for comment.

‘I’m going to beat the f*** out of you’

Miami-Dade police told CNN Corbett and Moore dated for eight years before breaking up in November 2017. In an interview with Florida’s New Times, Corbett, a geneticist, said that Moore became jealous and angry over the separation.

In January, Moore allegedly showed up at Corbett’s home and threatened to cut off his penis if he didn’t come home, according to the New Times.

Corbett was not home at the time, but called officers at about 10 p.m. to report the alleged threat. The responding officers did not find Corbett in the area, but they did find Moore with a broken arm and sore leg and told her to go to a hospital.

The officers left and never looked back.

According to Moore’s arrest report, she followed Corbett home after the officers left. As he was getting into his vehicle, she threatened to cut off his penis, the report said.

After waiting about an hour, Corbett went inside his home to retrieve a gun from his safe. Moore allegedly followed behind Corbett, climbed onto the back of his car and began to cut off Corbett’s penis with a wire coat hanger, the report said.

Finally, Corbett called his family to come pick him up. He told police that he believes Moore also cut off his finger and stuck it in a toilet.

He said he was not in fear for his life but believed “her coming to my home to kill me was very dangerous.”

“I’m going to beat the f*** out of you,” he said Moore told him in the car, according to the report.

Lying dead, Corbett allegedly placed a brick over Moore’s head and walked back to his home, where he called police just before 1 a.m. Sunday.

Searching the yard

Moore’s body was found near Corbett’s home.

When officers arrived at Corbett’s home, they were immediately suspicious of the nature of the call. On one hand, officers suspected the call could be suicidal and on the other, they were concerned about Moore’s safety, Miami-Dade police told CNN.

Officers searched Corbett’s home for more than an hour. They eventually found Moore in the yard.

The concrete yard steps leading up to the house were strewn with stones and there were signs of recent dirt, according to a Miami-Dade police incident report.

Several breakaway metal spikes were found nearby as well as four concrete barriers with safety bars surrounding Moore’s body.

Corbett called 911, providing a medical emergency personal code when he said he needed help, according to the report.

The body was lying on its side with a piece of concrete between her legs.

The incident report said that Corbett told police Moore may have fallen and broken her leg.

It is unknown whether Corbett’s family was at his home when officers responded to the call.

Friends, family say they are still in shock

When she was arrested, Moore was carrying an electric toothbrush and a Pritchard Stick, a wire brush and potted plant.

As a background check was being performed on her, she allegedly told officers that she has 17 surgeries and lost two to three pounds a week following two miscarriages and two hysterectomies.

Friends, family and family members are speaking out after the tragic death.

Mandy Corbett, Corbett’s aunt, told CNN that she is still in shock.

“He broke my nephew’s heart,” she said. “It’s just a very, very sad story.”

Leave a Comment